Shelley - second major era in Cardano development (after Byron) when platform becomes decentralised and available for public nodes.
Link to Charles videos describing the Shelley switching over process:
- This is a new protocol and takes time to develop correctly
- StakePool Taskforce has been assembled and is compiling questions as we speak
- Rust/Haskell nodes are being developed in parallel.
- Shelley formal specs are being finished and are expected to be released in the next few weeks
Stages of Shelley switching:
1. Initial test-net will be compiled from members of the StakePool Taskforce
2. Once test-net is complete - introduction into switching
3. Daedalus Wallet Updates:
a. 1.4 – Wallet Backend is beginning to be de-coupled
b. 1.5 – Network switches to OBFT, which is a step required to transition between Byron and Shelley
c. 2.0 – Network is switched to Shelley, but still under 100% control of the core cluster
- Starting from the second epoch of Shelley – some % of slots will be given out to registered pools
- Third epoch – If previous stake pools successfully create their blocks then more slots will be allocated to other stakes pools
- This process will be continued until complete handover to a decentralised network.
- You will be able to stake your ADA from both Daedalus and Yoroi
- OBFT ~ in mid-march
- Shelley testnet ~ second half of march
- Shelley on mainnet ~ mid-april